Innovators aren’t necessarily the smartest and the brightest in the room – So what do they do differently? They mix with a wide variety of individuals and have open, diverse networks, and … they listen as well as talk. So … how do you do it?
- Go to diverse events outside your specific area of expertise
- Introduce yourself to new people and follow up contacts
- Listen and learn: be approachable, helpful and interested
- Keep an open mind – ideas from one industry may be applicable in another
- Remember – successful networking is about giving not just getting